One of the oldest Knights of Columbus councils in the region, Canton Council 341, celebrated their 125th anniversary this year with a Mass at St. Peter Parish in Canton, celebrated by Father John Sheridan, and a banquet in the original ballroom of the council on May 6.
The first meeting of Council 341 was held on May 7, 1898, after Youngstown-based attorney William Maline convinced a small group of Canton-based Catholics to form a council in their area. They became the third council in Ohio.
Over the years, Council 341 has donated over $1 million to Catholic churches, schools and charities in the region. They have also given thousands in scholarship dollars to Catholic students.
Grand Knight William Riley hosted the event on May 6, with Joe Skubiak acting as Master of Ceremonies. The banquet included a reading of the history of the council and a presentation from a guest speaker—Honorable Frank Forchione, judge in the Stark County Common Pleas Court.
Today, Council 341 has 51 members, and they hold their meetings at St. Joseph Parish in Canton. Visit their Facebook page, www.facebook.com/KOFC341/, or call 330-704-2395 for more information.