Search

From the Archives: For the Sick

Bishop Walsh, with three priests behind him, blesses crucifixes at the new hospital

In March of 1955, Bishop Emmet Michael Walsh blessed a newly constructed four-story, $1,135,146 addition to St. Joseph Hospital on Tod Avenue in Warren. Behind the bishop are, at left, Father William O’Neil, pastor of the former Christ the King Parish, and at right, Father Clarence Halter, pastor of St. James in Warren (now St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish). They are gathered before the nearly 100 crucifixes that would be hung in patient rooms. An estimated 5,000 people attended a three-day open house following the dedication.

The Sisters of the Holy Humility of Mary began to operate the hospital in 1924. They broke ground for this featured building program in August 1953. The complex continued to expand in the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s. In the mid-1990s, all hospital services were moved by HM Health Services from Tod Avenue to the former Warren General Hospital complex on Eastland Avenue.

Share To Social Media

Picture of Joan Lawson

Joan Lawson

Joan is the Chancellor and Diocesan Archivist for the Catholic Diocese of Youngstown.
Related Stories

Stay up to date with all new things happening at the Diocese of Youngstown. Subscribe to our Newsletter here.

Cookie policy
We use our own and third party cookies to allow us to understand how the site is used and to support our marketing campaigns.