May 27, 1945
More than 3,000 people attended a blessing of the new convent for the Ursuline Sisters of Youngstown. The building—which does not exist today—was built in 1915 as the former home of Henry K. Wick on Logan Road, Youngstown.
Bishop James A. McFadden, first Bishop of Youngstown, seen here to the right of his crozier, blessed the interior and exterior of the building, and blessed the American flag held by Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts. The flag was a gift of Congressman Michael J. Kirwan and had been previously flown over the White House. After this blessing, the scouts raised the flag to the top of the convent tower.
The Ursuline Sisters first arrived in 1874 to staff St. Columba School. By 1945, they ministered in schools and parishes all over the diocese. The sisters remained in the Wick house until 1963, when they moved to their current location on Shields Road in Canfield.